Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ok, now I'm confused...again!!!

Most of you know that Angie has had chronic ear problems since birth; at 15 months she got her tubes put in, did great, they fell out (like normal) and she did ok for a bit, but then they started getting bad again. We have been back and forth to the ENT doctor, every 6 weeks, to check her out and each time he says the ears are still full, glands are swollen & tonsils are so big they almost touch each other.... funny thing is, she never complains of any discomfort and none of these things have ever caused a problem (aside from the constant ear infections). We even took her to the chiropractor ("popcorn doctor" as she called him--because he told her to listen for the popcorn in her neck...eww!!) because we heard that might relieve some pressure on her eustachian tubes. At the last ENT check up he says he's (we've--- whatever) been patient enough with her ears/tonsils etc... and that we needed to make a decision based on these recommendations: Ear Tubes, Adenoidectomy (remove the adenoids), & tonsilectomy (remove the tonsils). He told me to go talk to Joe about it and call him back with our decision. Well, we agreed no tonsilectomy--for sure...there is just no point in putting her through that if they aren't even causing her problems & we pretty much agreed no adenoidectomy either--again, it seems like extra surgery with no guarantees. We did decide that we would go forward with the tubes again since it is relatively fast & easy, and it would get through another year or so and bythen she should outgrow these problems.............right?????
SOOOO, yesterday she had togo to her regular pediatrician because she has strep throat and while we're there I have him check her ears and guess what....... they were clear, no fluid, no bulging...nothing!!! That changes EVERYTHING.... after weeks and weeks of going to the ENT, now they are clear?? Now, I know, that can change overnight; I know that fluid shifts in the head all the time and they could be full again tomorrow. But, now I don't know what to do about the surgery. Now, I feel like since her ears are clear she doesn't even need the tubes again...right??
What would you do??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, I hope you come back! I love the layout and design of your page-it's great. I've added you to my blogroll because I look forward to reading more!

Rachel said...

my son had tubes and his adnoids taken out the same time; he is now 9 and we didn't have any issues after. I would wait it out if you can and see how she does...if no fluid now; maybe check in 6 weeks or sooner if there is pain. I wish you luck; it's not fun thats for sure

Rachel said...

my son had tubes and his adnoids taken out the same time; he is now 9 and we didn't have any issues after. I would wait it out if you can and see how she does...if no fluid now; maybe check in 6 weeks or sooner if there is pain. I wish you luck; it's not fun thats for sure