Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's Bad.... real bad!!

Last Sunday Joe was helping Joseph ride his bike. And since Joseph isn't quite confident enough yet, Joe had to run right next to him, ready to grab on at any moment. Well that moment happened and Joseph wobbled on the bike and fell over...but luckily for him Joe was there to grab him before he hit the ground and all was well, right?? WRONG-- while Joe was grabbing him, the bike fell onto Joe's leg and cut/bruised his lower leg/upper ankle. No big deal, we thought...for a couple days it was kind of tender and bruised, but the wound seemed to scab up and heal (i thought). I just figured it was a regular bruise type boo-boo that would take a few days to go away. BUT....a couple of days ago, it started swelling up and yesterday we noticed that not only was it doubled in size, but he had a black and blue line across the side of his foot. And today, the whole foot is becoming black and blue and is even more swollen.....

I have to admit that I am pretty worried about it. I have finally scared him into going to the doctor (telling him that it is probably severely infected and that could move up into his leg and make him very sick...right?) tomorrow, so we will see what he says.........
Any ideas? Anybody ever seen (or had yourself) anything like this???
***UPDATE****
All is well with Joe's foot.... per the doctor, this is the normal healing process; it is not infected, sprained, fractured...whatever!! The reason it is so bruised/black & blue is that all the old blood from the original injury has ended up there (thanks to gravity)!! Ohhh, I feel so much better now that I know he doesn't have some raging infection. And yes, I am a worrier..BIG time!! (i don't know how I ended up being such a worrier--- both my parents had such easy going, laid back attitudes with me growing up...)

2 comments:

Stu Pidasso said...

Played soccer and rugby for years. Looks like he strained some ligaments in the ankle. It will get green before it gets better, but will be alright. An x-ray probably isn't required, but if it makes you feel better...just treat it with RICE....rest, ice compression (wrap it with an ace bandage or tape it..tight as he will allow and wrap from toes to calf) and elevate the foot. A couple three or four days should do it.

And I am awarding you aas winner for your post on my Caption Contest. Give me an artist and album for a wish list and I'll send it as soon as I can, probably from the road this weekend in Austin. Good luck and thanks for stopping by again. GB

Michelle said...

Glad he is ok........it certainly looked horrible and painful!