Thursday, January 15, 2009

Writer's Workshop -- So Many Things Could Have Gone Wrong....

Hello, Thursday....I am so glad you made it!! With you here, it means only one more working day until the weekend....one more day of waking up to the alarm and running around like a crazy person trying to get 4 kids and myself ready for the day....awww, then it is the weekend-- sleeping in, lounging around, being lazy, nowhere in particular to go!! Oh, I know--it will start all over again on Monday....but, I just love Thursdays; let me enjoy the moment!!

Ok, with those thoughts out of the way, it is time for my homework.... MamaKat had some tough prompts this week and I had a hard time trying to pick what to write about; but I decided to write about a time I "stole" something. Before I get started, let me preface this with: Dad, Carol, David (or any of my family reading this)-- this was a lonnnngggg time ago....don't be mad at me!!!
One night when I was a junior in high school and my best friend (we'll call her Nik) was spending the night at my house, we decided we wanted to "sneak out" and go visit our boyfriends. Problems were: 1) they lived about 40 minutes away (and back then we didn't have the easy access toll roads & interstates that are here now) and 2) Neither one of us had a car yet. So, we had the bright idea to wait until my mom and step-dad went to bed and then "borrow" my step-dad's car.... he wouldn't mind, right?? I mean, come on...we were young teenage girls who were very responsible and good drivers!!

After they finally went to bed and we were sure they were asleep, we grabbed the keys, jumped out of my bedroom window and got into the car. Now, I don't really remember if we pushed the car out of the driveway (as to not make alot of noise) or if we just bit the bullet and started right there; but, either way we got the car going and were on our way!! We had a great time driving there....blasting the music, singing real loud, laughing, talking about how excited we were to go see the guys...you know, all that teenage girl stuff!! We had a fun visit with the boyfriends...giggling, hugging, flirting...you know, all the teenage "puppy love" stuff!! And then we drove back home.... without incident!! We parked the car, snuck back in the window and got into our pajamas (mind you, this was about 5 am by this time) to pretend like we had been in bed all night.

We thought we were all slick until a few minutes after we got home, my step-dad woke up for work and went out front for a cigarette.....and what do you know, the car's fan turned on to cool down the engine that had just been running!!! We sat at my bedroom window, listening and watching his every move to see if he would notice; which, if he did he never said anything. to this day, I don't know if he ever really knew and just didn't say anything or if he was really just too tired to realize what was going on..... either way, he never said anything to us and we went about our merry way thinking we were super slick!!!

Looking back on that, I can't believe we did that!!!!! SOOOOOO many things could have gone wrong....SOOOOOO many things could have happened to 2 young, pretty, alone girls driving in the middle of nowhere!!!! Gosh, I hope my kids never do anything like that; I hope they don't "pay me back" like my parents always said they would (you know howthey say "one day your kids will repay you for all the things you've done to us)!!!

Happy Writer's Workshop....

10 comments:

Heatherlyn said...

I'm here from the Mr. Linky at the Writer's Workshop.

Isn't it amazing how the niave things we do as youth make such interesting stories later! That was too funny about how your step-dad didn't notice. Or say anything. Now that I'm a parent, I can see why a parent might just chose not to say a word. :)

Suzi said...

It sounds like an adventure. A lot of the stolen stories I have read so far have been about stolen cars. Hmmm...there seems to be trend here.

I also love Shel Silverstein. Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I don't think "young teenage girls" and responsible/good drivers can legally be in the same sentence?

Minxy Mimi said...

WOW!!!
You were brave, foolish and adventuresome at the same time!!!

Sandra said...

Times were so much different than they are now... don't you agree?

Great read!

So glad Joe is going to be well!

Anonymous said...

You were a sneaky one! I was too. Why were we so naughty? Like you said, your kids pay you back, but you know what? Mine didn't. I'm lucky because man, I sure had it coming.

Amy McMean said...

Lets hope your kids don't read this LOL, or try something like this. Wow you and Mama Kat are such rebels. i stole apples and soup, you guys went for cars. WOW.

Brandy said...

The young irresponsible kid in me says OMG I cant believe got away with it!! The responisble adult in me says OMG I cant believe you did that!! Pretty sure my mom would have found out and then killed me for it. I never managed to get away with anything nefarious on her watch. Sure sounds like fun though I wonder if MFS and I can sneak out and make bad choices without anyone knowing. (MIL is here so the kids will be safe)

Kristin said...

Things like this are what makes being young so fun. Now I worry too much. Back then I just went with the flow. Glad all went well. Great story.

KatBouska said...

Yeah but you got away with it!! Woohoo!! Sounds like you had SO much fun...you just gotta live once in awhile.