Tuesday, May 12, 2009

INDIANA

I was a bit nervous about taking 2 of my children through the mess that is the airport and then on a plane for 2 1/2 hours....especially because the 2 children that I speak of are my "most challenging"..... a 4-year old, who is....well.... 4 (enough said); and a 6 year old, who is the MOST strong willed child I have ever met---- in.my.life. But they did great.... they behaved so well in the airport and on the plane!!

The weather was beautiful in Indiana.... it never got above 70 degrees....a much needed change from the 95 degrees we are used to!!

We had a really nice time visiting with my Nana.... I feel bad for her because she lost her husband (my Papaw) about 10 years ago; and then she lost my mom.....and she is really lonely!! So, these occasional trips our very good for her....and the kids can always make her smile!!!

Our first stop, before we went to my Nana's house was Gray Bros. Restaurant (has anybody ever eaten there???)... This is a tradition that we have done ever since I was the kid's ages:
After we got to her house, I left everyone and went to buy some flowers & balloons and then "spent some time" with my mom:

The kids spent a lot of time outside in her "cool" (rye) grass (and getting muddy--yuck!!)

:)
And playing at the "cool" park by her house...... they (and me too) got a big kick out of how BIG it was....
:)
And we had a great time "just visiting".......

and goofing off (yes, those teeth are fake)......
I did take the kids to the cemetery on Saturday..... but it makes me SO sad that those are the only real memories that Angie and Joseph will have of my mom!!
And I did convince my Nana to make one of my favorite homemade meals.... ground sirloin patties, cooked in mushroom soup/gravy; mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, green beans and fresh sliced tomatoes.... y-u-m-m-y!!
Our flight back got a little bumpy......no, a LOT bumpy..... so mus so that the pilot told us AND the flight attendants to "Get in your seats NOW and tighten your seat belt as tight as you can" (so....yea, I was completely freaking out--on the inside!!)....
But that didn't phase a sleeping Joseph..... (have I ever told you how deep he sleeps....? and how hard it is for me to wake him in the mornings....?)
I am so glad we decided to take that mini-trip....it was nice to get away, even if for only 2 days.... it was nice to visit my grandma..... and it was nice to spend some quiet time at my mom's grave-site!!!

7 comments:

Emily said...

I am in love with fresh sliced tomotes! like in love! I could eat tomotoes and green beans 24/7... yummy! also, how presh is your lil guy! cold and snuggled in his shirt! great picture to capture:) so glad you had such a fabolous trip!thanks for sharing the pictures!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

I am so glad you had a nice trip and were able to spend time with your mom on Mother's Day :)

Amy McMean said...

I'm sure it was nice for your Nana to see you and the kids. I love the picture of your son on the plane. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who sleeps like that on the plane. Although they get so upset when i do it.

Unknown said...

Soooo glad that you had such a great trip!! :) Seems like it was alot of fun. I'm glad you got to "visit" a little with your mom one on one...I bet that was so special :)

Happy Mother's Day girl...you totally deserve it!

And it is HOT in FL isn't it? hehe

Carrin said...

Looks like a nice little trip.

April said...

I am glad you got that time.

Chris said...

Great story! Where in Indiana were you? I used to live there.